Why Office Edition?

Recently we have launched TeamLab Reboot campaign that gave birth to a whole new product. As we have already announced, the commercial version of TeamLab is going to include text, spreadsheet (and later) presentation editors that will become the basis of the platform interconnecting all of its modules. That’s exactly why the new version is called Office Edition.

The lack of full-fledged document editors in the cloud has eventually brought about the introduction of the first toolset of this kind. From our standpoint modern businesses have to handle too much paperwork and can’t afford to shift it back and forth between desktop and online. The idea of packing your office to the cloud has every right to exist, but let’s be honest, your work is not only about completion of certain tasks and maintaining your CRM contacts in one place. Our internal statistics indicates that ever since the “documents” module was introduced, our users have created more than two million documents. With these numbers in mind we realized the importance of this module and are planning to deepen its intergration with other modules.

The goal is to make it possible to completely transfer all of your paperwork to the cloud. Considering the fact that we possess a unique HTML-5 canvas technology, allowing you to perform desktop operations with documents online, we thought it would be logical to make the most of it. There is no need to buy another flash drive, share another folder on your desktop or resort to separate office applications anymore. With the realease of 7.0 version, TeamLab becomes more than just a platform for project management, penetrating online document management market.

For those of you, who don’t have a huge experience in online document editing (and for those of you who do) we decided to launch a new “raw facts” campaign. It will illustrate what practical advantages our editors have. Interested in what makes TeamLab Office Edition revolutionary? Follow the updates on facebook, twitter and google plus to find out why your service is truly unique. Have a good one!

Comments (24)
  1. Matthias Fostel - Reply
    October 23, 2012 at 4:45 pm

I’m pleased you will offer a downloadable version of your full version for private cloud or intranets, but when are you guys going to support Active Directory or LDAP for either your SAS or downloadable versions?

We have been holding off using your product waiting for this feature for over a year now and there seems to be no commitment from Teamlab to offer support to existing user accounts on corporate networks with any of their products.

You are missing out on a large market by not providing this functionality, and personally I’m getting tired of waiting.

2. abelinux - Reply
    October 23, 2012 at 8:55 pm

First of all, let me congratulate you on a nice work on this new version of TeamLab. It looks REALLY nice, much more professional (and consistent), and the general layout of the app makes it much easier to navigate and get through it. Also, the new Mail module is a very promising feature: we expect great and EXTREMELY USEFUL integration with the rest of the modules there.

Now, let me say this: most of us companies won’t (be able to) get rid of “local drive” editors. For many and simple reasons: we don’t just write letters or create simple spreadsheets. We need to use many, many different software pieces and generate a large variety of file types. So, there’s no practical way you guys can cover the whole range of “online editors” we would need within your premium solution.
    Besides, many of us use ad-hoc software, macros, add-ons, etc., that would (at least) need re-coding. Or, more likely, may not be useful anymore.

What I mean to say is that, even though I understand your businnes decision, (in my humble opinion) you should not lose sight of the main purpose of your app: MANAGE (ALL KIND OF) INFORMATION.
    Personally (and I don’t think I’m alone on this) I’d prefer more and more features regarding documents’ management, version control and lifecycle, gantt and project analysis, fluent integration among modules, quotation, accounting, granular content sharing and notification, LDAP support, etc. All issues where TeamLab has a long way to go yet.

Don’t get me wrong: I love TeamLab! I think it’s a good app, and it’s getting closer to becoming a must for almost any kind of company. And what is most exciting about it is that it’s evolving, and actually QUITE fast. But let’s face it: there’s stuff that NEEDS to get better before many of us can swith to it and start using it “seriously”.

I really hope you’ll take my words into consideration.
    And thanks for your great work! Keep it up! :)

• October 24, 2012 at 11:53 am

I agree, abelinux. The document editor, would never be able to replace Excel for our complicated spreadsheets with macros. Hopefully TeamLab will focus on the management, making modules talk better with each other, and the API. – the reason we use TeamLab;)

But to be able to view/edit our simple documents from dropbox – is a great feature!

3. Alexander - Reply
    October 24, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Abelinux, Erlend, thanks for high evaluation of our product. We are glad to hear that you guys are enjoying the service. Your feedback is highly appreciated. We want to assure you that we are not planning to focus on enhancing one module only. We realize the importance of other modules and we’ll do our best to develop them for the needs of our users.

4. Alexander - Reply
    October 24, 2012 at 4:06 pm

As for the development of the product that would eventually allow companies “to get rid of local drive editors”, we find this task very challenging and are willing to make it come true. In other words, we are planning to literally give our users all of the desktop functionality they need (including the features you have mentioned like macros for instance). We are ambitious about our project and right now it looks like it’s a matter of time only :) It took many years for desktop editors to develop to a certain point where they can offer such a wide range of features. We think we can do even better (faster) than that :)

• Andreas - Reply
      November 9, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I have to agree with Abe and Erland. Our VP is completely in love with Teambox’ latest gantt chart.

Looking at Teamlabs EXCELLENT document tool, he shrugs and appreciates it but will never ditch the desktop wordprocesser. And my statistics which is fairly simple but still relies and a combination of R, spreadsheets and access – you have a very long way to go before you can replace that.

What we need is three screen that can show everybody in the organisation the big picture of all projects. We need integration with filesystem (e.g. via dropbox sync) so that documents and files can be attached to projects.

We need to use centrally defined categories and undefined tags so employees can describe the files and documents within a project.

Finally we need to let documents live in several projects via symlinks. So that the same important document can be found and updated three different places.

And of course we need version control.

These features would easily be 125$ worth per month (what we will most likely end up paying teambox – because of a gantt loving VP)

• Alexander - Reply
        November 9, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Thank you for your conveying your ideas, Andreas, but it’s hard to sit on two chairs at the same time so to say. We agree that gantt charts is an important feature, but for right now online editors is our main focus. We will take your thoughts into account though.

• Andreas - Reply
          November 9, 2012 at 4:32 pm

In that case let me say that I am REALLY impressed with your online editor. REALLY really impressed!

5. November 5, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Excellent post. You must continue to offer excellent resources and content like you have been offering. I will most likely stop by again in the future.

6. Alexander - Reply
    November 6, 2012 at 9:54 am

Thanks John, we appreciate your support.

7. Samuel - Reply
    November 13, 2012 at 4:39 pm

will the new release of opensource or office edition will be compatible with Win Server 2012 and DotNet 4.5?

Can we expect a release of these editions before the end of this month? thank you!

• Alexander - Reply
      November 15, 2012 at 10:15 am

Samuel, the opensource version is already out and yes, it is compatible with Win Server 2012 and DotNet 4.5. Here is more info on this event: http://www.teamlab.com/blog/2012/11/server-solutions-6-5/ As for TeamLab Office Edition the release is planned for this year. So stay tuned :)

8. Samuel - Reply
    November 15, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Thank you Alexander. I did saw the release yesterday and haven’t tested it yet. I myself would wait for the 7.0 version to be released this year (is it the same version for office edition or 6.5?) as I have lot of customizations to do in the new version. I am running 5.0 and I hope that you support upgrade to 7.0 from 5.0.

I can’t wait for the 7.0 release. Tried it in SaaS and it is brilliant. You guys rock.

Add a submit button to post a comment. I just hit enter from the recaptcha.

9. Alexander - Reply
    November 16, 2012 at 8:15 am

I beg your pardon for misunderstanding Samuel. When I mentioned the release of TeamLab 7.0 (Office Edition) I meant the stable SaaS version of the service (what you have already tested was the beta-version). The release of TeamLab 7.0 as an opensource solution will take place not earlier than in the first quarter of 2013. In order to complete the upgrade from 5.0 to 7.0 you will have to successively upgrade to 6.0 then 6.5 and 7.0.Thanks for your support!

10. December 1, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Your tool with PM+CRM+DocFlow+SocialNetwork in one is very useful for civil initiatives, for active people who want to change something. Usually they have much energy and not much money.

So please leave the possibility for civil initiatives and NGOs to use TeamLab for free!
    You’ll make much impact to improving lives of huge amount of people!

11. Pavlo - Reply
    December 1, 2012 at 4:01 pm

12. Alexander - Reply
    December 3, 2012 at 11:46 am

Yuri, Pavlo thank you for your feedback. Non-profit organizations will have an opportunity to use Teamlab for free, that’s for sure.

• December 9, 2012 at 2:21 pm

How can NGO’s apply for the free edition?
      We are an sport NGO but we have more users than the free edition can offer.

13. Alexander - Reply
    December 10, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Please, follow the link below to apply for a free edition for non-profit organizations: http://www.teamlab.com/nonprofit-organizations.aspx

14. December 10, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Hello!

The reason for this contact is to express my dissatisfaction at being surprised by the new version of Teamlab Office. However, before proceeding, I must congratulate the team for the excellent tool created! But I can not deny that I was upset to know that now there will be restriction of users in the FREE version.

Recently I dedicated two weeks to study the viability of implanting this tool in my business, and now, when we were about to put it into practice, I was informed that there is a limit of 10 users and no longer unlimited as it was until last week.

My company is small and has approximately 50 employees, of which only 15 people are in the administrative area, meaning that they will use daily teamlab. But we wanted to put everyone in touch with each other to create an integration between them, for example, have an address book with all phones, know the anniversaries of the month, etc.

Finally, I had fed the entire Teamlab system and was about to test it in real day to day operations, but with this new scenario restricting users I no longer know what to do. Is there any possibility to revise the amount of registered users and back as it was before, unlimited?

Thank you in advance for your attention!

15. Alexander - Reply
    December 11, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Thank you for feedback Tiago. The thing is we had already announced that we had been planning TeamLab monetization in our blog post here: http://www.teamlab.com/blog/2012/09/teamlab-7-0-pricing/

TeamLab is getting more and more features and sustaining the service for free is no longer possible. We may suggest you to try using the server solution of TeamLab that can be hosted on your own server, not limiting the amount of your users. This way you won’t have to pay for it. Please follow the link below to read more about TeamLab server solution: http://www.teamlab.com/server.aspx

16. December 11, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Hi Alexander! Thanks for your feedback. I’ll look up for this solution using my own server. Anyway, thanks for your attention and congratulations for this great tool